Ka-band high-throughput satellite router with advanced adaptive LDPC coding
The Hughes HN9800 is a new-generation, Ka-band broadband satellite router designed for high-throughput satellite applications. The HN9800 incorporates advanced LDPC coding and other new features, making it the ideal platform to deliver even the most bandwidth demanding services on today’s Ka-band satellites, while being future-proof for the next-generation, high-throughput systems. The HN9800 features a single intra-facility link (IFL) interface to the outdoor unit.
High Throughput, High Efficiency, and Future Proof
Fully compliant with the industry-leading IPoS standard, the HN9800 is a powerful satellite router featuring high performance on both the DVB-S2/ACM forward channel, as well as the adaptive LDPC coding return channel. The adaptive coding on the return channel enables the unit to dynamically change FEC rates, burst-to- burst, based on link conditions, to achieve the highest throughput while maintaining high link availability. Through the combination of adaptive LDPC coding and a powerful processor, the HN9800 supports upstream burst rates of 3.6 Mbps, making the HN9800 an ideal platform for next-generation, high-throughput satellite systems.
To enable superior end-user performance, the HN9800 includes a full set of integrated Wide Area Network (WAN) optimisation features. Accelerated TCP and HTTP performance features, including HTTP pre-fetch (objects are locally cached on the HN9800) along with DNS caching, enable fast Web browsing. Integrated header and packet payload compression both conserves bandwidth and contributes to high performance.
A full-featured IP router, the HN9800 supports a switching capacity up to 5,000 packets per second eliminating the need for an external router. IP routing and addressing features implemented in the HN9800 include the RIPV2 and BGP routing protocols, virtual router redundancy protocol (VRRP) with policy-based routing, DHCP server or relay, as well as network address translation (NAT) and port address translation (PAT). The HN9800 also handles end-to-end VLAN tags complying with the 802.1P and Q standards and each VLAN may be configured with its own quality of service (QOS). Government and enterprise users can be confident of the security of information running over the HN9800, as it uses a hardware-based conditional access system and optionally AES 256 encryption for user traffic.
Network operations are easy to perform as the HN9800 features an integrated Web server supporting a Web browser interface for commissioning and troubleshooting. Full- featured, built-in diagnostics provide historical information about network performance or error conditions. An integrated LAN sniffer eliminates the need for onsite presence during trouble-shooting. The HN9800 is centrally managed for software configurations and downloads.
Adaptive LDPC Coding
The HN9800 incorporates an innovative adaptive LDPC coding scheme on the return channel, developed by Hughes, enabling superior modem performance. The adaptive LDPC’s ability to run with minimal link margin results in maximum bandwidth efficiency. Additionally, the HN9800’s use of variable burst LDPC code block lengths sized to the amount of IP data to be transmitted further increases the return channel efficiency. Overall, the adaptive LDPC coding on the return channel typically yields more than 20 percent bandwidth efficiency improvement over competing systems.
Full-featured Network Services
- Single cable for intra-facility link between HN9800 and outdoor unit
- Local Router with
- IPv6/IPv4 ready
- Static and dynamic addressing
- DHCP server or relay
- RIPV1, RIPV2, and BGP routing support
- Multicasts to the LAN by using IGMP
- 802.1P and 802.1Q for end-to-end VLAN support with configurable QoS per VLAN
- Firewall support through integrated access control lists
- WAN Optimisation and Acceleration
- Integrated Performance Enhancement Proxy (PEP) software to accelerate throughput performance by optimising the TCP transmission over the satellite, delivering superior user experience and link efficiency
- Integrated Hughes TurboPage® software to accelerate HTTP traffic for fast browser access
- DNS caching
- Quality of Service (QoS) features
- IQoS (Inbound Quality of Service)
- Bi-directional DSCP
- Outbound bandwidth management
- Secure Network Transmission with bi-directional IPSEC and AES-256 encryption (optional)
Reduce Network Operations Cost and Increase Network Availability
- Industry-leading bandwidth efficiency and network availability with
- Forward Channel DVB-S2 with Adaptive Coding and Modulation (ACM)
- Return Channel with adaptive coding and frequency hopping
- Return Channel using MF-TDMA and variable burst size
- Bi-directional IP header and payload compression, including TCP, UDP, and RTP compression
Simplify Network Operations
- Software updates, configuration, status monitoring, and commissioning centrally controlled via the Network Operations Center (NOC)
- Remote terminal management via the Hughes Vision® Network Management System and SNMP monitoring
- User-friendly LED display indicating terminal operational status
- Integrated local Web interface for status, troubleshooting, and diagnostics
- Universal power supply supports international voltage ranges and frequencies and has a detachable power cord